IT'S TIME for childcare services that meet the needs of our families.
Why It Matters:
- Without a national childcare program, parents rely on a patch work of unregulated, expensive childcare.
- Without federal leadership and funds, provinces/territories have not developed the child care services needed.
- Quebec's childcare program at $7/day, going up to $15/day, has been shown to reduce poverty.
We Believe That:
- Child care for all is a public good, a human right and part of building the equal, just Canada that we value
- Quality in child care programs is key for children’s development and well-being
- A variety of inclusive child care services and related policies are needed to support all families
But the Reality Is Troubling:
- In Ottawa the cost of childcare is a crushing burden for most families.
- There are 94,770 children 0-9 years living in Ottawa but only 11,300 licensed child care spaces (6,344 subsidized).
Questions to Ask:
- How will you promote the creation of publicly funded, affordable, quality childcare for all families?
- Will you support a national childcare program to make quality, affordable childcare available across the country?
- Where do the political parties stand on Child Care in the 2015 election?